Friday, January 6, 2012

Bex Loves...Twig Terrariums

I got married over the summer, and one of my husband's coworkers, who was unfortunately unable to attend our wedding, sent us the most unique gift, a Twig Terrarium




The Brooklyn-based company (owned by two friends) "create[s] moss terrariums and other small worlds in antique, vintage, and new glass containers, apothecary jars, science glass, kitchenware, and any odd glass objects [they] find on [their] travels." 
The terrarium we were given has a little old couple on a park bench, with the man sneaking a smooch from the woman.  And I absolutely love it.




The upkeep of the terrariums is pretty easy (even for a plant-killer like me), all you have to do is spritz them every two weeks or so with a squirt bottle -- probably more in the winter when it is dry and less in the summer when it is humid.  If we see condensation in the jar, we put off the spritzing for a few days.
There are various pre-made options you can choose from, there is actually a wedding scene, a fun swimming themed one, and my personal favorite, the yogi in the park.  If you can pick up the terrarium at their Brooklyn location or live in NYC, there are other options available, as well.

Another option?  Well, my mother recently had a milestone birthday (ahem...50...) and I could not think of *one*thing* this woman needed.  My husband suggested we get her a Twig Terrarium for her house.  After perusing the website, I found that I could customize a terrarium, and the wheels started spinning.  My mother LOVES having family photos taken, so I decided to have a terrarium customized with our entire family.  I emailed the lovely ladies at Twig and requested the Medium Container with figurines depicting my mom, dad, sister, brother-in-law, niece, twin nephews, me and my husband.  I told them our ages and hair colors and this is what they sent:



I love that my "dad" is holding my "niece," as they are totally best buds in real life -- and the stroller my "nephews" are in looks like the real one they have.  We almost died laughing with the depiction of my "mom," as it actually looks almost exactly like my grandmother (her mother-in-law).

Which Twig Terrarium do you like the best?  Would you like to receive this as a gift?  Would you give it as a gift?



**********
Disclaimer:
I paid full-price for Twig Terrarium I purchased.  The other I received as a gift from friends.
All opinions are completely mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment