Thursday, January 5, 2012

Bex Loves...Jar Salads

I have recently become addicted to Pinterest.  Like, super addicted.  (If you need an invite, let me know!) A lot of things I find on there I am saving until I have the bathroom of my dreams, or until I have a closet the size of my current condo, or until I have kids to entertain, or...you get the point.  The things I *am* finding useful now, however, are the myriad of recipes and food ideas -- simple and complex.

One of my first finds, and what I just *knew* was genius the second I saw it, was Salad Jars.  For the past few months I have had a dual goal of saving money and eating healthier, and this idea helps me achieve both.  The basic premise is that you take a mason jar and fill it with your salad ingredients, putting the dressing on the bottom and the greens on the top -- this way the lettuce doesn't get soggy.  I layered my middle ingredients from wettest (starting at the bottom) to driest (moving towards the top).




In this one I started with dressing on the bottom, then chickpeas, followed by grilled chicken (I figured the chicken could use some marinating in the dressing), then cooked quinoa, cherry tomatoes, celery (LOTS of celery...I am a weirdo who loves celery), and then I crammed in as much spinach and spring mix as I possibly could while still being able to put the lid on tightly.




The best part?  You can make a bunch at a time -- they can last for up to four days.  Here I made two with Italian dressing and two with homemade balsamic vinaigrette, so I wouldn't get sick of one kind of dressing.

I start back at school on Monday (three nights a week...ugh...but my *LAST* semester...YAY!) and I think this will make getting my daily vegetables (and NOT eating dinner from the 7-11 across the street) super easy.

You do need to make sure that you have a good sized bowl or plate wherever you decide to enjoy your salad though, as eating out of the jar is not really that easy.




What is your most ingenious food find in Pinterest?  Or do you have any ideas of your own for eating on the go?

No comments:

Post a Comment